Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Water ~ Important for Our Health

Published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Lori Nickel wrote:
I don't know if it's just me, but when the snow is falling and the wind is howling,
the last thing I want is another tall glass of water.
If I'm fatigued, the nutritionist says I need more water.
If I'm sore from a workout, the trainer says I need more water.
If my skin is dry, the woman behind the cosmetic counter asks me if I'm getting enough water.
If I have a migraine, the doctor says I should make sure I am drinking enough water.
There's so much water on my brain, I barely make it through my morning boot camp jumping jacks.”

Physician Nick Yphantides, medical editor for the national weight loss organization TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) explains why water is so important. The ideal daily water consumption is based on a variety of factors including your age...health status...the weather...where you live...and how physically active you are. I have always told my patients that an ideal target for men is 3 litres (approximately 13 cups ) and for women 2.2 litres (9 cups).

I asked him, “What if I'm tired of drinking so much water? It can get boring. Can anything be subbed out for water?” Dr. Yphantides replied, “There are a host of flavoured waters available: sparkling waters, dilute juices, waters with various fruits added to them and other non caffeinated fluid alternatives. Personally, my favourites are sparkling waters or water in which I have added some fruit for subtle flavouring.”

Healthy Flavoured Water Refreshers
(Thanks Tom for the following:)

Nothing beats drinking water ~ nature's clear and refreshing gift to our body.
Note: Almost every flavoured water bottle you purchase contains 6 tsp. of sugar
and roughly the same amount of calories you'll find in a can or bottle of Coke...
(calculated at 8 tsp. sugar!)

Making flavoured water is easy:
Cut the ingredients, whether cucumber, lemon, orange, grapefruit, to about one inch in size.
Put them in a pitcher or a jar with water and leave them in the refrigerator overnight.
If you want to speed things up, use a fork to make holes in the ingredients to get the flavours out.
The 'fruit-to-water' ratio should be about 1 cup of fruit per litre (34 oz).
You can add a little sugar or honey, if you want...and use soda water if you're in a 'fizzy mood'.
Pineapple and Mint ~ Calms the digestive system
Cherries and Lime ~ Improve the quality of sleep
Watermelon and Rosemary ~ Better blood flow
Orange, Pineapple and Ginger ~ Treat dehydration
Celery, Lime and Grapes ~ Suppress hunger pangs
Rose Water and Mint ~ Stress relief
Pear, Ginger, Vanilla and Cinnamon ~ Prevent calcium deficiency
Melon and Cucumber ~ Headache prevention
Orange, Chia and Cinnamon ~ Joint pain relief

Body Organs Discuss Colonoscopy

Recently, I posted an article...Pulitzer Colonscopy
which many of you discovered to be the humourous truth.
Sent to me by Jeanne, the following comes with a moral.

All the organs of the body were having a meeting trying to decide who was the one in charge.
I should be in charge,” said the brain, “because I run all the body's systems...so without me, nothing would happen!”

I should be in charge,” said the bloodbecause I circulate oxygen all over, so without me, you'd all waste away!”

I should be in charge,” said the stomach, “because I process food and give all of you energy!”

I should be in charge,” said the legs, “because I carry the body wherever it needs to go!”

I should be in charge,” said the eyes, “because I allow the body to see where it goes!”

I should be in charge,” said the rectum,”because I'm responsible for waste removal!”

All the other body parts laughed at the rectum and insulted him...so in a huff, he shut down tight!!!
Within a few days, the brain had a terrible headache...the stomach was bloated...the legs got wobbly...the eyes got watery...and the blood was toxic!

They all decided that the rectum should be the boss!

The Moral of the story:
Even though the others do all the work,
the 'bottom' man is usually in charge!
If you don't send this to at least 4 people...Who Gives a Poop!

Merle Baird-Kerr...compiled April 4, 2016
To comment, email to: inezkate@gmail.com or mbairdkerr@cogeco.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment