Monday, March 28, 2011

The Oddities in Life

Life cannot be categorized! Each day dawns , often bringing unexpected things that perhaps alter our plans for better or for worse. Many carry little surprises that brighten our activity...be it a child's innocent words, be it humour, a gift, a visitor or unforeseen action.

LUCKY NUMBER

In my teen years, I played ladies' fastball on local team. My father, a lover of ball games, would occasionally take me to see the Brantford Red Sox play baseball. Programs were given to each paying spectator with the line-up of team players, their stats and other facts of interest. At the 7th “inning stretch” lucky numbers were drawn. I won...a case of ginger ale and movie tickets to the Capital Theatre. I was thrilled! My father claimed the pop to carry but rejected the tickets (which to him promoted the sins of Hollywood). At this, I was disappointed.

COLOGNE, GERMANY

During the summer of my second year teaching, I toured Europe. The passengers on the bus ranged from university students to senior citizens. A middle-age couple, Frank and Eleanor from Toronto, befriended all of us. In Cologne we stopped to see and view the renowned Cathedral. Eleanor had risen early to walk along a street adjacent to our hotel. While window shopping, before the stores opened, she was admiring some clothing. Suddenly, a local man “pinched her butt” in jest. She was humiliated and emotionally upset when returning quickly to the hotel. Misunderstood and unknown to us, their son had been shot down and killed over Cologne during World War II.

INNOCENT WORDS

We lived in a townhouse complex; the mailboxes were at the end of the hallway. Daily I would take my little boy to retrieve the mail. Since our box was on the top row, I lifted him up to turn the key, open the small door and pull the mail. At one time he dropped a letter, exclaiming, "Oh S _ _ _!”. I smilingly told him this was not a good word! That evening, I related the incident to my husband who frequently used this four-letter-word, admonishing him to refrain its use in front of children.

Very safe it was, then, to allow children to play outside. When he was about 4, my son came home crying because Brent had hit him! Consoling him, I advised him to go back and find Brent...and hit him unexpectedly. A few minutes later looking downcast and dejected, I asked, “Why?” His reply, “Brent won't stand still for me to hit him!”

My little girl, learning to talk, was unable to speak words beginning with tr....With Grandma in the car with us one day and seeing a big red transport carrier said, “Look at the fruck, Mommy.” Grandma was shocked and stunned.

CENSUS TAKING

When is this? Every 2 years? A woman came to my door asking the usual questions...how long had I lived here? Was I a Canadian citizen, etc. Holding my daughter in my arms, she asked, “Are you working?”
Yes...every day! “What is your vocation?” I'm a Home Economist! Whenever an official asks me these questions, my answers vary: I'm a Teacher. I'm a Nurse. I'm a child psychologist. I'm a psycho-analyst. “You're not a Stay-at-Home-Mom?” Yes, I'm that too!

YOU'RE A SENIOR!

My son had graduated from the University of Windsor with a degree in Computer Science. He was fortunate in securing a job here in Burlington. Within a couple years he met Beth, who later became his wife. One evening he treated us to a movie at the Showcase on Harvester Road...his sister, Beth and me. He advised the young cashier that Marcia was a High School student. The cashier quickly looked at me and stated, “Two adults, a student and a senior.” None of us disputed this! I was stunned and surprised!
Realizing she would associate me with her mother, I was obviously "old" also! Why should I care? To her, I qualified for a Senior Discount! Thereafter, I asked for Senior Rates!

NOTICE BOARDS AND SIGNS

Church billboard signs always fascinate me with their messages...short and quip...often inspirational!

In a breakfast diner, Winstead, Connecticut, I recently saw this sign:

Open...Most days about 10, maybe 9.
Occasionally as early as 7, but some days
as late as 12 or 1.
We Close about 5 or 6,
occasionally 4 or 5,
but Some Days or Afternoons, we
Aren't here at All, and lately
I've been here About All the Time,
Except when I'm Someplace Else,
But I should be There Too!



Yesterday, on the Notice Board of my Seniors' Residence was this which I share with you:

SOAP OPERA PRAYER
Bless us who are “Young and Restless”,
sometimes, “Bold and Beautiful”.
Help us to remember, there is “Another World”
which we can build on when we turn our hearts to you,
our “Guiding Light”.
“As the World Turns” on “The Edge of Night”,
may we “Search for Tomorrow”
better ways to love one another
“All the Days of Our Lives.”


Merle Baird-Kerr
March 28, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment