Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Car Has A "Start-Ache"

Today it was sunny and cold...just below freezing and with a chilling breeze. Wearing a black fox fur trimmed winter coat, I walked to my car in the parking lot. My hair appointment at Klippings was at 10 AM. As per usual habit, I glanced at the tires...all OK; the windows were frost-free...no need for the scraper; the side mirrors correctly positioned. I turned the key in the ignition – DEAD! - no response! Why? What could be wrong? I mentally reviewed...an oil change two months ago...a 30 Point Prevention Maintenance Inspection six months ago.

In the past couple of weeks, the gear shift in my 2007 Chrysler Sebring has been very stiff, often difficult to move from Park to Drive and Drive to Park. Perhaps the cold weather? I hadn't been out with my vehicle for three days. Of consideration, after I have driven for several minutes, the stick shift seems a little smoother. Mechanically, I know nothing (but then I cannot be good at everything!). This is why I have my “wheels” serviced regularly. I recall that about a month ago, when going out for the evening, it would not start with turn of key in the ignition. SURPRISE! This never happened before! I was stunned! Why? On the second attempt, success! All this now preyed on my mind.

My immediate concern this morning was that I could possibly be late for my appointment with Kelly. This car needs DR. Mechanic! I turned the key again...NOTHING! I try to push the Park a trifle more to the left...then with the key turn, the engine started! There was extreme “tightness” in positioning the stick shift to Drive. I traveled north on Walker's Line, exiting to the QEW West and then the cut-off to 403 Hamilton...and ramp to Waterdown Road. Her salon is now only about two minutes away. This bi-monthly visit to her is my Beautification Day. I feel so great...my hair like silk and skillfully styled...with pride I leave her salon. Next...to the RBG (Royal Botanical Gardens), about one kilometer west of here on Plains Road West.

Hope, for no problem! I inserted the key and turned it...my Sebring starts! Amen! Difficult to shift to Drive...very stiff! Since I was delivering a letter to the RBG's front desk, I intended to park directly in front of the main doors with my flashers on; however, the space was occupied by a Handicap Van unloading seniors with walkers and wheel chairs. They were here to view the amazing exhibits, the Gift Shop, the Mediterranean Gardens, the Cafe. the newly built waterfall viewed from the lower level. Along the side of the building are several park areas for handicap drivers...where I parked my auto. Observing these seniors as they slowly (and some with great physical effort) descended the van, their faces were embraced with smiles in anticipation of their visit here. The day's weather was Beautiful! The opportunity Wonderful for these golden agers! Memory of my Birthday celebration here on St. Patrick's Day...lunch with Sherrie in the Garden Cafe!

Now to Danny's Nails for a much needed pedicure. Unlocking my car, I trusted and willed it to start...No Way! I felt almost defeated...and would need to call CAA for assistance, more likely, towing to a garage! Tried once again...my Sebring sprang to Life!

The staff at Danny's is Vietnamese...always very friendly and personable. Today, Tina was my attendant. The hour I spend here is relaxing, soothing and my feet thrive on the treatment. I reclined in comfort with an automatic back massager for my aching muscles. My feet were in warm to hot water at the base of the chair. A flat-screen TV in front of me showed local news and interviews. Tina gloved her hands and expertly began my pedicure session. First she removed the old nail polish and replaced each foot back into the warm water. She tended to the toe nails and to the removal of calluses along my insteps. The lady next to me was well tanned...just returned from Florida...we chatted. Tina, with her hands and lotion massaged my feet thoroughly; then with special brushes and cream, smoothed the skin. She recommended a massage scrub treatment with a rich yellow lanolin and sea salt (like a salve) because of the dry skin on each calf. This exfoliation process felt velvet-like and totally smoothing.

Drying my feet, she placed them in thong-type slippers; with cotton placed between the toes, she painted the nails with my colour of choice...a rosy-coral. I clumsily walked to another chair where my feet were placed below a dryer to “dry the nail polish”. During this 20 minutes, I solved today's crossword puzzle and scanned a fashion magazine...and wondering also about my vehicle. Tina assisted me with my stockings and shoes...and with a promise, I would return again soon.

My car started...but had difficulty shifting to Drive! Deciding to forego a couple other errands, I immediately drove to Active Green + Ross, my garage choice for the past 4 or 5 years. To Joel, the service advisor, I explained my problems, stating, “I hope this is not a costly repair.” He didn't think so. There was a comfortable lounge area where customers can wait. It was now 12:50 PM. The sun shone brightly through all windows...across the street, the Go Station parking ramp and beyond, the skyline of the escarpment; a few customers in and out or waiting for their car repairs. As always, the front counter personnel were attentive to their customers' needs. I ascertained I would be here for an hour or more. I located today's Toronto Star and spent time browsing through the various sections. I located the Sudoku puzzle to solve and read the Bridge column. An auto magazine lay on a table in front of me...good for several minutes of reading. I noticed also a heavy hard cover book about Hot Rods...magnificent colour photos of cars back to 1932 through to the 70's. My Dad would have loved to own one of these in his day! I contemplated again about my car's ailments, aware it needed care and repair...at what cost? Other customers were waiting in my area. I sauntered to another corner where there were a few magazines. Soon, Joel called , “Merle”.

He explained that, “The cables below the gear plate were totally dry...very rare for an automatic transmission, especially on a vehicle with only 50,000 k of travel distance. The cables have been well lubricated with lots of guck...the gears now move as smooth as butter.” He couldn't guarantee this wouldn't occur again...but should not be an ongoing problem. Giving me a copy of the invoice, my car's problem was diagnosed through a Transmission Pinpoint Inspection. I owed $59.87 (based on $100 per hour labour...took the technician 50 minutes, disposal of waste and tax).

Such a joy to walk to my silver Sebring, have an immediate start at the turn of the key and then the now ever-so-smooth transition from Park to Drive. I was elated! The day now seemed brighter and sunnier! My next stop was for gas at $1.24 per litre at Petro-Canada. I pumped $20 into the tank and with my card, had an 80 cent discount.

Merle Baird-Kerr
March 30, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment