Saturday, December 28, 2013

Scottish Scheme



Family Dinners ~ were always significant to me! During the week our hours were filled with work, school studies and related activities, sport events and other personal interests.  Sunday evenings was the scheduled time for us all...to meet together for dinner and be engaged in  conversation around the table. 

I enjoyed the décor that I created for special events with family and friends: Valentine's Day, Easter, Canada Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas...from lacy hearts to Easter bunnies, from flags to harvest filled cornucopias, to wreaths and garlands. An attending person was responsible for a table prayer for each of these dinner gatherings...and thanks given for the honoured event.

When  my son had a September wedding, at first, Thanksgiving seemed to me like a great loss of the “family homecoming” when his new family arranged their First Family celebration together.  This I accepted as a new “Stage in Life!”

A few days ago, Sherrie forwarded the following story to me about a Scottish couple
who manoevered a Christmas homecoming for their son and daughter.

A man in Scotland calls his son in London the day before Christmas Eve and says, “I  hate to ruin your day but I have to tell  you that your mother and I are divorcing;  forty-five years of misery is enough!”

“Dad, what are you talking about?” the son screams.

“We can't stand the sight of each other any longer,” the father says.  “We're sick of each other and I'm sick about talking about this...so you call your sister in Leeds  and tell her.”

Frantically, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone, “Like hell, they're getting divorced,” she shouts.  “I'll take care of this!”

She calls Scotland and immediately screams at her father, ”You are NOT getting divorced.  Don't do a single thing until I get there.  I'm calling my brother back and we'll both be there tomorrow.  Until then,  don't do a thing.  DO YOU HEAR ME?”  and hangs up.

The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. 
“Done!  They're coming for Christmas ~
and they're paying their own way!”

Words of Wisdom

“When one door closes, another door opens;
But, we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door
That we do not see the ones that open for us”.
(Alexander Graham Bell)

Merle Baird-Kerr…written December 21, 2013
Comments always welcome…e-mail

No comments:

Post a Comment