Thursday, December 19, 2013

Little Shopping Trip



Hello Mom,

I  had a little shopping trip in New York today. (ahh went “shopping in New York.”)

Taking the subway up to Juilliard, I caught the Julliard Store before it closed. I promised my daughter a pullover jacket from Julliard School, but I could not find anything suitable in the store today.  I did pick up a music score that I had always wanted.

Across the street at Bed, Bath and Beyond, I found something I've always wanted: a little coffee percolator.  A real percolator.  I've been using a drip coffee maker for over twenty years...and I miss the old-fashioned percolator. Plus, many percolators you see, especially bigger ones are made of aluminum.  I wanted one with a thermal carafe and no aluminum.  This seems almost impossible ~ as the internal parts are typically aluminum.  I wanted a “copper coffee pot”.  How else can you  have a proper cup of coffee made in a proper copper coffee pot?  At any rate, I found a nice one that would do.

They had nice everything there:  nice toasters, nice blenders, nice whozits and whatnots.  They even had a nice watsamakalitz.  I was not in the market for a watsamakalitz, but I did see a hot air popcorn maker.  I much prefer stove-top oil-popped popcorn, as it is far more flavourful than air-popped popcorn.  But, air-popped popcorn beats microwaved.

They also had some nice little electric stove burners which use a normal outlet.  I thought of getting one so that I had something to call 'stove'.  They had a really cheap one for about $25...a very nice one for about $60...and a very nice double one for about $80...and a drop-dead gorgeous one for about $100.  The drop-dead gorgeous one was induction-based, but this requires induction cookware.

From there, I walked back toward Penn Station.  This is a walk from 66th Street to 34th Street ~ distance  of well, 32 streets. 

Along 9th Avenue, I saw a little Indian restaurant...so stepped in there and had some Lamb Biryani.  It was delicious.

Down by Port Authority Bus Terminal, 42nd St. shows its very innocent looking street sign.  I had no battery left in my phone...or else I would have taken a picture of the street sign at 9th Ave, and 42nd St.  You do know where 42nd St. is, don't you?  It's one street north of 41st St..  And it's also one street south of 43rd St,. Nevertheless, if you walk east on 42nd Street, you will come to...Toiumes Squahe!

I didn't bother much with the bus terminal and continued down to Penn Station.  I bought a ticket there to Newark...and then took a bus up to Kearny.

Written a few days later:  You would like the coffee from my little percolator.  I bought some Costa Rican coffee in Hoboken on Friday because I was anxious to try my new percolator.  It works very well, in fact!  A full pot makes about 3 cups’ worth…and it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to brew.  The resultant coffee is pouring steam out of the pot…and is scalding hot!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Choice is a Beautiful Thing”
(seen recently in a computer shop in Mississauga)

Merle Baird-Kerr … crafted November 8, 2013
Comments are welcome...e-mail to:
inezkate@gmail.com  or  mbairdkerr@cogeco.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment