Monday, November 25, 2019

Where Were You During World War II ~ Part 3

Anna could handle the farm work, though,
but she was always driven toward education.
She loved learning ~ but some things are easier said, than accomplished.
“I didn't have any schooling after Grade 8 because there was no school. So, I went to a country school that was kind of like high school. We were taught housekeeping and cooking. So I had to go on my bicycle.about 5 miles. And here came an airplane or two. The farmers were in the field ~ and I saw them shoot at the farmers. So, I dove into the ditch on the side of the road and put my body on top of the bicycle, so it wouldn't shine ~ making it so that they wouldn't see me and shoot at me. But, they were shooting at the farmers ~ and I bet you ~ those were just young kids in those airplanes. And, well the farmers, they fell. The planes left. I hopped on my bicycle and went to the next village.
Llife just goes on when you're in a war.
During school, they gave us a glass jar to go out and pick the bugs from the potato plants, because they were killing the crops and that was our source of food.
Potato soup, potato bread, potato pudding, potato everything!

“Eventually after the D-Day invasion, they had to get all the men that were capable into the war because there were not enough. And, as it turned out, they had to get my (eventual) husband,who was 17. The older guys were killed or couldn't do it anymore, so they got the kids and put them behind the gun.But, finally, the Allies arrived at Anna's village ~
and as American tank and infantry personnel started funneling their way
down the streets, everyone started to panic.
“I was scared when the Americans came into the village...with tanks and troops...and the farmers took us young girls and hid us up in the hayloft because they were afraid they would rape us.
Fear quickly gave way to relief. Thank God, it was over.
We could go, buy food again, little by little.
Whatever we had in our savings account wasn't worth anything anymore,
We got $50 per person to restart our lives..”

Anna spent the next nine years living in the countryside.
until she and her husband decided to move with their 2 young boys to Canada.in 1954.
Anna, 25 and Albert 28, settled in Wallaceburg, Ontario. ~ and had 2 more children, two girls.

“Canada from Day 1, meant to me freedom! I love Canada.. Freedom!”
When asked to define what freedom means to her, she says,
Wide open spaces...doing what you want to do...and not being afraid to do it.

If there is a war today, I know what to do,but an average Canadian person,
especially children, wouldn't know what to do.
I automatically know that I can live off that land out there!
I can get some seeds...dig up the ground...and get going.
When asked if she had any advuce for the young people of today, she smiled:
Experience as much as you can in life and take chances. But, please be safe.

A submitted photo of Anna Frey, dressed in pink, she has just turned 90.

Composed by Merle Baird-Kerr...November 14, 2019
Comments most welcome: mbairdkerr@cogeco.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment