Monday, March 4, 2019

Local People of Distinction

Albert Einstein and his quotes of wisdom,
well complement the ambitions and achievements
of our local people.
You never stop failng ~ until you stop trying!
Life is like riding a bicycle: To keep your balance,
you must keep moving!

Training for the 125th 'Around the Bay Road Race' ~ March 31, 2019
Manny Ferreira relates: “I have been running long distances for 6 years and am 54 years of age, which means nothing since I feel younger than I was in my 30's. Soon after turning 48, I decided that if I was going to be around as long as possible, my health had to come first.

I run for my mental health...for fitness...for my love of the outdoors...and for those who can't. I run entirely outdoors as I dislike the awkwardness of a treadmill ~ it's not natural. My plan is to continue to run until the day I drop dead, since I can't imagine life without it.

My plan was to run a marathon by the end of year 5, which I did at the 2017 County Marathon in Picton, Ontario. I have since run a second one last year ~ to build up my distance over the years, so I started with 10K...15K and several half-marathons.

Two years ago, in March 2017, I entered my first “Around the Bay 30K” because that was the next logical distance on my journey. My favourite part is always the rolling hills of Northshore Boulevard, which also has some of the best local support. Some people put out fruit and cheer us on!

Winter running requires dressing in layers. Underneath, I wear a tech shirt plus a thin thermal top
and an outer shell that makes the elements bearable. A cap that wicks the moisture and warm mitts are a must as the extremities are where we most feel the chill.”
(The foregoing written by Barry Gray in The Hamilton Spectator~February 23, 2019)

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence!

An Unfamiliar Rural Ontario
Days By Moonlight” has all the twists and turns, surprises and character development
that makes for a fulfilling read, as illustrated in a black and white photo:
a lower line of leafless trees, foregrounds a spacious grey sky highlighted by a full moon.

In a special to the Star, Robert Wiersema, stated,
Giller Prize winner, Andre Alexis takes us on an enjoyable, dreamy trip
in Days by Moonlight. His novel is deceptively simple ~ and almost overpowerfully rich.”

The novel centers on Alfred Homer, a 30-something botanist and illustrator, reeling from the terrible blow of the death of his parents and the end of a relationship. Alfred joins his father's friend, Professor Morgan Bruno on a road-trip through southwestern Ontario to trace the steps of legendary poet, John Skennen. This rural Ontario isn't one you'll find on any tourism maps, however.

The journey takes them through a dreamland of the familiar world: To a town where black citizens, over time, have developed a culture of silence...speaking only in sign language.
A town where an annual burning verges on human sacrifice;
a town where an Indigenous parade morphs into something altogether different
and scathingly hilarious.
It's a world of witches and spiritual quests,
visions and crappy taverns.

The depth of your skill or art is subject to originality ~
your own authentic style. (Marianne Boruch)

McMaster Appoints Indigenous Artist as Chancellor
Six Nations dancer plans to bring culture and the arts to university post.
McMaster University is the second Canadian university to announce its next chancellor will be of Indigenous heritage. Sante Smith, a renowned artist, dancer and choreographer, will take over as the honorary head of McMaster in November. Smith, very excited and overwhelmed says that she will bring elements of Indigenous culture and the arts to the post that involves presiding over convocations and ceremonial functions. She comes from Kahnyen 'kehaka (Mohawk nation,Turtle Clan, from Six Nations of the Grand River.)
Smith is a McMaster graduate with degrees in physical education and psychology
as well as a master's degree in dance from York University in Toronto.
(Published by Mark McNeil in The Hamilton Spectator)

Once we accept our limits ~ we go beyond them.
(Albert Einstein)

With a Song in His Art
In a 'Special to The Hamilton Spec' Regina Haggo writes,
Don Graves's musical background ~ colours his landscapes.

In the Arts section, are shown dramatic colour photos of:
Restless Sky: a vertical painting of orangey-bluish sky atop pine trees, waterfall and flowing river.
RBG Winter Trail: a 3-layered canvas of foregound earth... snowy ground cover.... with background
of a barren woodland.
Don Graves “Algonquin Corridor” defines autumn colours in 4 'depths of field' illustrated by foreground rocks...small lake...a hillside of glorious autumn colour...clouds scudding the blue sky.
These works of art by Don Graves can be viewed until March 30
at Teresa Seaton Studio and Gallery, 652 Spring Gardens Rd., Burlington.
(Wednesday to Saturday, 11 am to 5 pm.)
Regina Haggo writes, “Definitely a landscape painter, he begins by listening to classical music. What's more: the colours in a painting sing to him”. Explaining, Don Graves says, “When I look at a painting, the reds and greens are soprano sounds. I experience red when I hear a soprano. For me, an important voice is the alto, in which I experience as red or orange oxide. The bass voice comes to me as burnt umber, with some blue if the sound is deep. My voice is baritone, a warm sound that I experience as yellow ochre and sienna. Most unchanged voices feel like the blue family.”

The link between colour and music is not a surprising one for the Burlington artist.
At university, Graves trained as a singer and conductor. He was the founder of Sheridan College 's Music Theatre School among other things. Then 'hearing loss' took him to painting.”

Compiled by Merle Baird-Kerr...February 23, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment