Thursday, September 27, 2018

Patience and Wisdom Taught and Learned

AaPATIENCE AND WISDOM ~ TAUGHT AND LEARNED
An animal photo, recently sent to me illustrates
2 of the greatest qualities in life:
Beagle sits patiently...feet planted firmly on the ground...
eyes his blue dog-dish...full of appetizing nibbles;
however, a black creature with white-striped back
is enjoying canine's tasty meal.
Dog realizes and hopes that 'patience precedes his wisdom.'

Nail in the Fence
(with thanks to Tom for this submission)
There once was a little boy who had a bad temper.
His father gave him a bag of nails ~ and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily, gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.
Finally the day came when the boy did not lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.
The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father
that all the nails were gone from the back of the fence.
The father took his son by the hand and leading him to the fence said, “You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one; you can put a knife in a breathing soul and draw it out; it won't matter how many times you say “I'm Sorry” the wound is still there.”
A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one.

Influence from Plato
(written by Samantha, a Grade 11 Cathedral Catholic Secondary School)
Plato, you were so caught up in the waves of a lost metropolis, a population tucked into bed by the Atlantic Ocean and kissed on the forehead by the forgotten ~ just what made you talk of Atlantis ~ a city you never saw ~ a city of folk tale and sea shells. Maybe you wanted to escape...have it wash upon shore for a while...so you could have a chance to drown with it...maybe you wanted to get lost in the cold blue water. You thought of Atlantis like it was God's sea-castle...full of bliss at one moment...but soon enough the cold awakening of the Atheist Ocean would creep up, pulling it away.
It is foolish to think you could be happy.

Never Give Up!
(written by Isra, Grade 12, Cathedral Catholic Secondary School)
There are really 2 secrets to surviving life at high school, but I do have some advice to reduce stress and have as much fun as possible. In Grade 9, my best friend and older sister helped me to adjust but my first school day was horrible! I couldn't find my glasses...I spilled pop in my school bag...I didn't talk to anyone...I was teased about my appearance. By Grade 10, I lost the few friends...started skipping classes...watched my marks drop drastically. In Grade 11, I went to classes...completed my work...was still unhappy with my grades and myself. Grade 12 brought much more pressure: Would I graduate on time? Should I pay for grad photos? Should I go to Prom? Should I apply to college?
I did graduate, yet unprepared for post-secondary studies.
Then I heard about The Turning Point program at Mohawk College,
where I was able to take the Grade 12 English course needed)
I start College in September ~ and very excited about the next chapter in my life.”

Whale Cove-bound Shipping Container Gets New Artistic Look
A photo in the Burlington Post: Grade 7 students of St. Anne Catholic School give Whale Cove shipping container a little artistic flair. When a 20-foot shipping container makes its way to an isolated Nunavut community in summer '18, it will do so with an artistic new look. That's courtesy of Art teacher, Evonne Quintana and Grade 7 students at Burlington's St. Anne Catholic School who recently put a stylish stamp on the Whale Cove container that is filled with dry food and clothing.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SSVP), St. Raphael Conference adopted the isolated village on the west coast of Hudson Bay last year and plans on making annual charitable shipments ~ with the inaugural 2-month journey from Montreal beginning in mid July.
St. Raphael...St. Paul...and St. Anne schools have contributed to the campaign as has Brantford's SSVP.
Whale Cove ~ a community of just over 400 ~
named for the many Beluga Whales that frequent the coastal waters
is situated above the 'tree line' where rock, water and ice form the landscape
and no roads to other setttlements exist.
AS a result: food is very expensive and housing is very limited.

How a Paper Route Helps Kids ~ and Parents
Aside from money management, there are 'big picture' things children learn,”
writes Latham Hunter, a writer and professor of cultural studies.
After years of listening to my students describe how little they knew about money management, I reckoned it was a good idea for my 3 oldest to get weekly paper routes. My middle child got hers when she was almost 9, which is young. She was so steadfast in trudging along and helping her older brother with his routes every week, that after a few months, we agreed to let her have her own.
They lug the stacks of papers and flyers into the house...
put them together...pack them up...load the van...
and then their Dad drives them from our rural concession to their routes in and around the village.

My 13-year-old when asked what he likes about delivering papers, replied, “When it's done!”
I hope it means he's getting satisfaction from honest work, even though he doesn't relish the task.
The kids are paid 10 cents per house by the paper; they're allowed to collect tips once a month, so the vast majority of their income depends on connecting with the customers. Going up and knocking on doors to ask for money is hard enough ~ but to carry on a short conversation can be daunting.

Other parents may disagree with me ~ but we've asked the kids to save everything they make.
The consequences and regret of a mis-guided purchase just wouldn't stick. I'm hoping that earning money would instil as much responsibility and awareness as looking back on misguided purchases.

* * * * * * *

James Kelly of Etobicoke, saved enough money from his paper route to finance a trip to Uganda.
He's shown in colour photo with folded papers in hand....and pulling a wagon
with remainder of papers to be delivered on his route.

Saint Augustine stated, “Faith is to believe in what you do not see.
The reward of this faith is to see what you believe.”

Writer: Merle Baird-Kerr...July 15, 2018
`

No comments:

Post a Comment