Thursday, July 21, 2016

Erma Bombeck's Wishes

Honouring Women's History Month
and in memory of Erma Bombeck who lost her life with cancer.

If I Had My Life to Live Over”
(written after she found out she was dying from cancer)

I would have gone to bed when I was sick...instead of pretending
the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in hot storage.
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained or the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good living room' and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have sat on the lawn regardless of grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, guaranteed to last a lifetime or wouldn't show the soil.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle!

When my kids kissed me impetulously, I would never have said, “Later...now go, get washed up for dinner.' There would have been more 'I love yous and more I'm sorrys'.

But, mostly given another shot at life, I would seize every minute;
look at it and really see it; live it and never give it back.

Stop Sweating the Small Stuff!
Don't worry about who doesn't like you...who has more...or who's doing what.
Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us!

The foregoing article, sent to me by Jeanne, concludes with the symbols representing different cancers: Breast...Ovarian...Cervical...Pancreatic...Brain...Prostate...Lung...Melaloma...
Lymphoma...Kidney...Colon...Uterine...Leukemia...Childhood...Sarcoma...
and all other Cancers.

Quotes by Erma Bombeck
There is nothing more miserable in the world than entering Paradise
 looking like your Passport photo!

Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

When your mother asks, “Do you want a piece of advice?, it is a formality. It doesn't matter if you answer Yes or No...you're going to get it anyway!

When I stand before God at the end of my life,I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left...and could say, “I used everything you gave me!”

Life's Defining Moments ~ Five Rights
(submitted to me by Dilu)
People grow a lot when they are faced with their own mortalities.
In a survey, every patient in palliative care, found their PEACE...before they departed from this life. The following are the 5 most common remarks made to care personnel:

I wish I had the courage to live a life 'true to myself'...
not the life others expected of me.

I wish I didn't work so hard...was given by several male patients.

I wish I had the courage to express my feelings...(after settling for a mediocre existence and failing to become the person they were capable of becoming).

I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends. Many of my friends let golden friendships slip by.
I wish I had let myself by happier!

They had stayed 'stuck in old patterns and habits'.
Fear of change had them pretending to others and to themselves.

LIFE is a CHOICE. It is YOUR LIFE.
Choose consciously...Choose wisely...Choose honestly...Choose Happiness!

Contributed by Merle Baird-Kerr...June 17, 2016
Comments appreciated: inezkate@gmail.com or mbairdkerr@cogeco.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment