Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Exciting World of Bridge


This card game is enjoyed by people around the world. Many play it socially (often called “kitchen bridge”). One can play daily, once a week or on occasional monthly get-togethers with family/friends.

Others prefer the more competitive “Duplicate Bridge”...the appeal is building partnerships, the opportunity of playing in various local clubs, tournaments, having group parties, meeting new friends who often become long-lasting. There are various levels of skill...from Novice, Beginner, Intermediate to Advanced, Expert and World Class...just find your “niche” in which to play. All ages play...from teens to advanced senior citizens!

Today, one can play through BBO (Bridge Base Online) 24 hours a day with players around the world. This venue I was introduced to in late December 2008...and developed “Friends” who became wonderful partners...France, Germany, Turkey, Portugal, Chile, 2 or 3 in United States.

Social Bridge

Friends of my husband at Stelco Research Centre played Bridge; from them we learned a few basics...just enough initially, to enjoy and be challenged by the 13 cards in one's hand. Soon after this, there were other wives of Stelco men, intrigued by the game. Eight of us played together twice a month (Tuesdays) for many years...rotating from home to home...enjoying the decadent desserts with coffee and sherry...the chit-chat and the challenge of the Bridge hands. There were always two or three substitutes available if needed. After several years, there were still three “originals” remaining; as happens, some move, job transfers or absence due to extended education studies. One May, we decided to arrange a “Home Coming” for past members who had played with our Stelco Wives Club. To each we extended this “Invitation”:
Once upon a year...
it was 1964
eight Stelco wives assembled
for Bridge, dessert and coff(ee).
We knew little Bridge,
but very keen to learn.
Oft' the food was most “gourmet”...
the recipes publish-worthy!

Our babes were born,
became students in school...
excelled in sports and various arts.
Engagements ensued
and for special events,
we staged celebrations and appropriate gifts.
Over the years our members have changed...
transfers and moves ( and sadly a death);
but always a desiring someone
to share our game, our food, our fun.

Of the original eight, three of us still play.
Our kids are married...families of their own.
We three... now retired
with “Arthur”, “Charlie” and “Ben”.
Still able to travel and theatricals attend!

We invite you to join us
for lunch, for chats and Bridge.
Bring memories of times you spent with us
and together...we'll reminisce!

Bridge Clubs

Churches often hold social events...fashion shows, speakers of interest, evenings or afternoons of Bridge sessions with refreshments...all intended to foster friendship with the parish families.

There are other groups who rent a facility for several Bridge tables. A Director arranges, organizes and supervises the game play. Players are charged a fee to cover expenses. Within these clubs, friendships are generated and “joy of the game” is the incentive to play!

The American Contract Bridge League (ACBL) is a highly organized Bridge System where points can be earned through regular game play and tournaments. In Burlington, Oakville and Hamilton one could be playing seven days a week...so popular is the game! With frequent games, one meets several players on a regular basis and thus, friendships are cultivated. At any time, a member can contact ACBL through Internet to glean information, lessons online, assistance, accumulated points, upcoming events. In June each year there is World Wide Bridge Tournament (2 days) where clubs can compete. The same “bridge boards” are played by all participating clubs around the world! Amazing!

This foregoing organization appealed to me...realizing now, there was So Much I Did Not Know! With this in mind, I joined a club which offered lessons from Beginner Level to Intermediate, Advanced, etc.
Here I met players intent on improving their game..and surprisingly discovered “the more I learned, the greater I enjoyed the game”!

I found it entertaining to arrange a group of two, three or four tables with local ACBL players...hosted in the Social Room of my complex. Once or twice a year, I organized Fun Events...each with a “theme”. To those invited, men and women, I issued personally created invitations with all the information therein. One woman, Anne, after the event, so appreciative of her invited attendance, sent me a wonderful poetic note which I share with you (must comment, that this has never previously left my file). She is a grand lady, was a politician with Hamilton's Municipal Government...a delightful person of outstanding personality!

A TRIBUTE TO MERLE

The invitation came in the mail
without any fuss or fanfare.
The mauve envelope bore my name
and the Canada stamp was there.

Merle's name on it made me think...
that meant it a big event;
for to invite us to a small one,
Merle would never be content.

Merle must have been a beautiful baby
and the prettiest teen in town
because now she's a handsome woman...
always smiling...never a frown.

She's extraordinarily gifted...
evidenced by her college degree;
Her Bridge playing challenges many;
and her crafts are a wonder to see.

But her greatest gift is friendship;
the people she knows are legion.
She really cares about others.
Her friends come from many a region.

And the “big event” was like sunlight
dispelling November gloom.
Food, games, crafts and singing;
joyous chatter filled the room.

And Merle was the perfect hostess
from the beginning right to the end.
I came home feeling really refreshed.
And glad I have Merle as a Friend.

(November 16, 2008)

Bridge Humour

Players come from all “walks of life”...university students, husbands and wives, doctors and nurses, teachers and professors, fireman and lawyers, retirees and senior citizens, singles who have met at clubs and married.

As you can imagine, some unusual situations occur;
 unintentional comments become humorous and often a bit risque.
These are moreso, when players at the table are well-acquainted
...appreciating their ages and personalities.
Murray, to a female player who followed him from table to table in the movement of East/West pairs, “You keep chasing me from table to table...when this game ends, please don't stop!”

Several years ago (when I was fairly new to ACBL and privy to only a few conventions), my opponents were a husband and wife. He opened the bidding with “1 Club” and his wife announced, ”It could be Short”...to which I asked, “What is Short?”...and they both laughed...he responded, "It's not that short!"
("short" infers the suit may have 3 or fewer cards in it)


Another husband and his stoutish wife were our opponents. Noticing that her cards in hand might be visible to the opponents, he advised her to “hold her cards close to her bosom,” then when she placed her “dummy hand” on the table, she commented, “I'm really quite flat!” In humour, he added, “Well, Dear, I have a Stiff!”   ("flat" infers cards in hand have 3,3,3,4 distribution...no long suit; "stiff" is a singleton)

Prior to game as we waited for game to start, a table mate admired a giraffe pin I was wearing on my vest; I related the circumstance of buying it and commented that, “I'd find somewhere to stick it.” A man walking by our conversation, jokingly asked, “May I be of service?”

Fran, an Intermediate player questioned VJ (the Director from whom she had a few lessons), “Are you going to show us your stuff tonight?” His comment, teasingly, “You want to see my stuff?”

Robert, usually a quiet well-spoken gentleman and his wife sat at our table. We were waiting for the 12:30 minute to signal the Director's announcements and game commencement. “Out of the blue” he asked, “What is the difference between a prostitute, a mistress and a wife?” The prostitute inquires, “Aren't you finished yet?” The mistress, “Are you done already?” The wife, lying on her back, states, “Oh, I think I'll paint the ceiling grey.” What a stunning shock to hear this humour from a Senior, a man of usually few words! We laughed...including his wife.

I was told of a male Bridge player at Tansley Woods who wandered into the Ladies' Washroom and stood in a stall with the door open doing his business; when finished , he nonchalantly walked away, apparently oblivious of his surroundings! (Must have been desperate!)

My partner and I were playing against Frances and Lorne (both A-players).
My Partner opened 1NT (15-17 High Card Points)
Lorne bid 2 Spades
Frances: "Alert!" (meaning it's a specific  card holding)
I ask, "What is it?"
Frances: "It's Brozel" (a convention)
I turn to Lorne, stating that it sounds like Cappelletti (another convention)
and ask him, "What's your Brozel look like?"
Lorne: "I'd show you, but my wife wouldn't let me."
I comment, " I don't want to see your Brozel, anyway!"
to which Frances (a senior citizen) smilingly stated,  "Well, I'd like to see it!"

Bridge Travel
ACBL Tournaments, not only in Canada, United States and Bermuda, are well attended by players to compete for "points" and increase their level status.  If travelling to a holiday destination, a search on Internet  will advise you of local  clubs where you could play.  On one such occasion, I was visiting my son in Connecticut (on work assignment).  Since he was staying at The Holiday Inn in Waterbury, I tracked a Club playing Monday and Friday afternoons.  By e-mail, I contacted the Director (Bill) who arranged  partners for me (at my level of play).  I visited my son three times...and was warmly welcomed each of those occasions by Bill and his club members.  On my last visitation in December 2008, I was fortunate...my partner was a WWII Veteran who had been on Normandy Beach...D-Day!  A wonderful gentleman who "blogs" about his wartime experiences.  To access his writings, Google in...Oldest Military Blogger...to reach his site.

The latest sensation over the past few years has been Bridge Cruises...a fascination for many as they travel the Caribbean, South America, Europe's rivers, Alaska.  Last summer, it was a train ride through the Canadian Rockies...passengers with mutual joy of Bridge, dynamic Directors, scenic wonders and thrills for All!

The Bridge Columns

In daily newspapers is a Bridge Game...showing the four hands, the bidding and  play to "make the contract" bid...and how opponents might possibly defeat the contract.  These articles often have a quote which is applicable to the "lesson in question".

Oscar winner, Patricia Neal said, "A strong positive mental attitude
will create more miracles than any wonder drug."

A quote by Marti Ronemus:  "I just love this game.
Each  hand is like a present!
I can't wait to open it."


Merle Baird-Kerr
June 9, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment