Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Christmas in the Caribbean

Christopher Columbus wrote:
As soon as I arrived in the Indies, in the first island which I found,
I took some of the natives by force ~ in order that they might learn and might give me
some information (about whatever there is in those parts). And, so it was, they soon understood us ~ and we then, either by speech or by signs ~ and they have been very serviceable!”

No man is an island, entirely of itself;
every man is a piece of the continent.
(... famous quote by John Donne)

My son, home for 10 days from university...my daughter (a teenager whom I had to keep busy)...and I (divorced from marriage) pondered, What could I do for a memorable Christmas family vacation?
One of the best decisions I ever made
was booking us on a cruise ship to visit a few islands in the Caribbean!
We each took gifts to exchange on Christmas Eve while on sail.
How glorious and memorable this Christmas was!

My son made friends and hobnobbed with the Greek crew...my daughter discovered a girl in similar circumstances( as she was) with whom to 'hang out.' I happily observed their participation in ship activities. On Christmas Eve we docked at Curacao ~ my daughter, with exceeding joy, discovered a McDonalds within her sight ~ and off she dashed!!!
Such a pleasure to see Christmas decorations in tropical countries!
Surprising to me was to note that some of the larger stores
had imported tall evergreens to decorate as we do in Canada!
Returning to the ship, on the open deck,the cruise ship band played Christmas carol music for all the passengers to enjoy the Christmas experience...even with a magnificent voice, a passenger gentleman stood before the mike and sang for us O Holy Night!
The last day of this Caribbean cruise, we spent in Aruba.
The north coast was rugged with rocks and deep waters;
the south coast invited us to waters calm and placid...
and this was ready-made for tourists like us!

'Twas a Christmas holiday we've long remembered!

Norman Vincent Peale said, “Christmas is the season of joy and of families united.”

Ronald Reagan further suggests that Christmas is a holiday
that we celebrate, not as individuals ...nor as a nation...
but as a human family.

Christmas is a time to appreciate the love of family and friends
and a time to express our gratefulness for every blessing
bestowed upon us.” (Unknown author)

Merry Christmas to all ~ wherever you be.
Written by Merle Baird-Kerr...December 13, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment