Friday, February 1, 2019

Snow Woes and Joys

SNOW WOES and JOYS!
From a recent article sent from one of my faithful readers, is a collection of olden photos
(black and white, of course) depicting life in rural areas.
On the Ouray and 'Silverton Toll Road in Colorado, is shown a Winter's Snow Tunnel created from a mountain slope. A couple horses and carriage with a few passengers is travelling through this tunnel. Much snow is atop the carriage and along the far side of the tunnel..
Imagine Winter in those days!
(The photo is from a series: History from Kodak Times.)

Remember ~ When Winter Used to be Fun?
Decades ago in rural areas, Winter ~ namely, that white, fluffy stuff called 'snow' fell in November and remained until almost Spring. The weatherman (or was it weatherwoman?) who compelled Jack who controlled temperatures, to remain below 32 degrees throughout the winter months. It was Mr. Frost's job to keep snows piled high along country roads to give farmers a respite from crop-planting and harvesting...to unite families around the country-home-fireplace hearth...to occupy children in snow forts ( with help from Dad who helped with building them)...as Mom, inside made fresh hot tomato soup. As children, we were mighty healthy ~ no TV's and no CT's and no local cinemas for movies.
Only the radio to which my father listened every Saturday night, hearing Foster Hewitt broadcast the hockey plays by the Toronto Maple Leafs!

In later years we had toboggans on which we slid down hills for the thrills! Trot back up the slopes, for more and more exciting thrills! It was many years later, in early teaching years, when skiing became my winter passion, at invitation of teacher friends. Following a few tumbles, I considered it wise to have a few lessons to develop necessary skills before breaking my skull. No sport was as exhilarating as fresh winter air blowing through the evergreens and my learned ability to ski most hills! Just imagine, in Ellicottville's Holiday Valley, hot lunch was served one day at tables at top of one slope...all we had to do, was ski-up to the table...pick up a plate...fill it with food...and a cup of hot vino! Skiers, I discovered, become instant friends!
My son learned to ski, so frequently on weekends we headed to the hills.
Today he vividly recalls a 'ski week' with Shirley, my friend
in Quebec's Laurentian Mountains.
Of no interest to my daughter, her interest was equestrian, taking lessons...and competing in local horse show events. Through the process, she, with the Stables owner, trained 'green horses', preparing them for events at levels of their learned skills. Her love of horses were thoroughbreds and quarter horses.
For many years I skied for a day, weekend or ski week somewhere; summers, I played tennis, so in reflecting, I was most physically fit ~ much preferred to monotonous gym workouts. Now, with arthritis besetting me, a few years ago, I had to forfeit these winter thrills. Memories are So Great!

Today, I send you, through technology, Maxine's Views of Winter
She is a senior like me (and possibly, you) who comments via colour cartoons.
Clad with woollen sweater...colourful old-fashioned clothes...a tuque knit by herself a few years ago along with winter-worn mitts...and heavy socks... as she rambles on about her current life...just to fill in her long empty hours.
Looking out her window, says, “I'm going south for the winter ~
actually, some parts of me are headed there already!”
It's so cold, my teeth were chattering all night ~ and I wasn't even wearing them!”
Does shivering count as exercise?
It's time to get out the ear muffs. My ears aren't cold ~ I'm just tired of hearing people whine!
Six days of zero in a row, reminds me of my honeymoon with the ex.
There's a trick to driving on ice and apparently nobody knows it, she muses while driving her jalopy.
I'm snowed in ~ nothing a little salt can't handle ~ especially around the rim of a margarita rim.
It's so cold out, teenagers are wearing their pants all the way up.
Hey, all you geniuses who say, 'let it snow' back in December. Happy now?
(as she wades through cloud-like piles of fallen snowdrifts).

It's so cold that hot flashes are starting to feel kind of good,
as she sits with neck scarf, mitts and hot cup of morning brew.
It's so cold, I'm shaking as bad as a couple of jelly donuts at a Weight Watchers' Meeting.
Old Man Winter is here ~ and like most men, he's leavin' me cold,
dressed in wild colours, tuque, scarf, oversize sun glasses, woolly coat and long dangling ear rings.

It's tough to walk the dog when he sticks to every hydrant!
Time to start training for my favourite winter sport ~ extreme hibernating.!
Let me know if you suddenly become interested, as she eats her bowl full of popped cereal.

IF YOU WOKE UP BREATHING,
CONGRATULATIONS!
YOU HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE!

(With thanks to Tom who pals with his dog, Buddy)

Sparkling winter sunshine
Faces all aglow.
Making resolutions
And angels in the snow.
Steaming cups of cocoa.
All of this is magic
Unfolding just for you.
(unknown author)

Snow Kisses
If you go out when it's snowing
And look up at the sky,
You'll feel lots of kisses
As the snowflakes flutter by.

Korean Proverb
There is no winter without snow;
no spring without sunshine,
and no happiness without companions.

Crafted by Merle Baird-Kerr...January 31, 2019
Your views appreciated:

No comments:

Post a Comment