Monday, January 7, 2019

Concepts Gleaned ~ Here and There

Many thoughts, ideas and story bits pass by my desk which I keep ~ to process often in my writings. So, today, for quick reads, I publish some for your reading interest.

A Thought for Today
This is the beginning of a new day! I have been given this day to use as I will.
I will use it for good, because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
When tomorrow comes ~ this day will be gone forever,
leaving in its space something I have traded for it.
I want it to be gain, and not loss; good and not evil;
success and not failure;
in order that I shall rejoice in the price that I paid for it.

Wake up! Those horrible buzzing alarm clocks make 'waking up' a dreaded part of the day, but it doesn't have to be tht way! Fisherman Call is a new service along Japan's Sanriku coast. Subscribers enjoy the voice of a fisherman, who calls at the requested wake-up-time.
They can choose which fisherman they want by reading their profiles
and listening to the voices. The service works because fishermen are up early
and don't mind having quick chats with people to help waken them for the upcoming day.

No Traffic: People commute to work by car, bus, train or subway ~ and even bicycle or skateboard. But Benjamin David of Munich, Germany, has all these methods beat! He swims to his workplace via the Isar River. He carries his dry clothes and laptop in a special waterproof backpack, which doubles as a buoy, allowing him to take a break and float if he gets tired. This unique 'commuting method' lets him avoid busy streets. He says he feels 'refreshed' rather than 'harried' when he gets to work.

Big Jump! When Englishman, Verdun Hayes,became a centenarian, he decided to have a little fun, so he jumped out of an airplane. He was attached to a parachute, of course, and had an experienced skydiver with him as a 'tandem jumper.' The 15,000 foot jump took place near Devon, England.
Hayes is a WW2 D-Day veteran who likes to support other vets,
so he used the jump to raise money for the Royal British Legion.
Three generations of his family, jumped for the same cause.

Mother's Day Covenant: “On the darkest days, when I feel inadequate, unloved and unworthy, I remember whose daughter I am ~ as I straighten my crown.” (submitted by one of my readers)

The human heart is like a ship on a stormy sea ~
driven by winds blowing from all corners of heaven.”
(Martin Luther King)

Battle Between Two Wolves
An old Cherokee told his grandson, “My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil: it is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good: It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness,
empathy and truth.”
The boy thought about it and asked, “Which wolf wins?”
The old Cherokee quietly replied, “The one you feed!”
(An Aborigine Parable ~ author unknown)

With the new day, comes new strength, new thoughts...
and understanding is a 2-way street.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
I am a slow walker, but I never walk back,” stated Abraham Lincoln.
Mahatma Ghandi opinionates, “Anger is the envy of non-violence
and pride is a master that swallows it up.”

Mary Kay Ash's easy solution is, “People fall forward to success!
Every day is a new beginning ~ Take a deep breath! Smile! and Start Again!”

A cartoon depicts an elderly man, sitting in a rocking chair on the verandah ~ wearing nothing but a hat and shirt. Grandson, dressed with pants, shirt and tie, asks him, “What are you doing on the porch with no pants on?” Said Grandpa,, “Last week I sat here with no shirt on ~ and I got a stiff neck!
This is your Grandma's idea.”

From the cartoon, Better For Worse, Mother explained to family, “Kids, Everyone! Come Look! I spent the whole night wall-papering the kitchen!” Son remarks, “Gosh!” Still admiring it, Mother adds, “I was going to hire someone, but I said “The Heck WITH IT! AND DID IT MYSELF!” And still gazing at her decor, states, “Well, don't everyone speak at once! What do you think?”
Son, still staring at the paper, comments,
It's really neat, Mom”...than asks her, pointing, “But don't daisies grow this way up?”

Cartoon, Between Friends: Mom, sipping a milk-shake with children at the table, Son asks, “Mom, why do you buy 'take-out'? It's not a healthy choice!” She replies, “I know...I know...it's not that I don't want to be healthy...it's not that I don't want to cook healthy...it's just that...I Don't Want to Cook!”

Cartoon, Drabble: Family inside the house, Son says,”Dad, I got a summer job!” Dad responds, “Way, to go, Norm.” Son, adds, “Yup, I'll be working in the entertainment industry!” Dad inquires how he got the job. Son states, “Let's just say, I had to pull a lot of strings!” In last frame, is son on street with numerous tied blown-up balloons in hand exclaiming, “My arm's already tired!”

From Drabble: Dad is driving, (with his wife beside him) on a busy street and yells loudly, Hey, That Guy just cut me off...Fine, I'll speed up and cut him off! Doing so, he looks in rear view mirror and shouts to his wife, There! What do you think of that? HA, HA, HA!!!
And in the last frame, he prides himself, “Sometimes, I think I'm the only sane driver on the road.!”

In the cartoon, Hi and Lois, the clock reads 12 and carrying a load of laundry, she says to big family dog, “Dawg, Go wake up Chip ~ It's almost noon! With no response, Lois goes upstairs to check ~ Chip is still asleep (Z.Z.Z) and lying beside him on top of the covers is DAWG (Z,Z,Z.)

In Hagar the Horrible, he and his wife, Helga, are dressed to go out. Hagar tips a full bottle of wine and downs the vino into his mouth fully emptying its contents. Helga, very disgrunted beside him, he says Sorry as he gulps the last drop. At the neighbour's home, they are met by a primly dressed woman. Holding the empty bottle in hand, Hagar offers it to her, stating, We brought you a vase!

Cartoons, I love, as they depict human life so brilliantly!

Composed by Merle Baird-Kerr...December 30, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment