Monday, December 24, 2018

Unexpected Pleasures

The moments of pleasure we enjoy take us by surprise.
It is not that we seize them ~ but they seize us.” (Ashley Montagu)

In early October, 2001, my son calling from California (his place of employment), had a proposition for me. “I'll pay your flight here to San Jose ~ spend a week or 10 days here ~ on the weekends we'll tour the coastline vistas ~ and from travel businesses here, locate the immense trees whose trunks we can drive through. Knowing that you love to drive, I require you to drive my Honda Odyssey van back to Ontario for its emission test. You need to have this completed by November 15th.
Did I hear you correctly?” I asked. “Oh, Yes, Mom,” he replied.
In a few days, I propositioned him, that, “Yes, I'd do the drive ~ with my desire to visit Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon in Utah (and all its weird rock formations), then Arizona's Grand Canyon both north and south sides. ~ these sites prior to touring through Colorado's Rocky Mountains, northbound to access throughways eastward. He loaned me a CT from which to call him each evening en route.
We discussed events of the day...destination for the morrow...
then, he'd check on weather conditions for the next day or two.

Arizona's Grand Canyon: Impressed, mightily I was viewing Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon in Utah! Then southbound a few miles to Arizona's Grand Canyon which is phenominal. Over-nighting at Jacob's Lake motel, the staff highly recommended, “You must drive to the canyon's North Rim to view it at sunrise!!!” As I drove through the forest, the sun arising in the sky and splaying its golden rays between tree trunks, I parked at the North Rim (1,000 feet higher than the South Rim), and marvelled at the cool morning's stillness with occasional bird tweets as they welcomed their day. And as the sun rose above the horizon casting its rays...and in the stillness of the morn...not e'en a leaf on the trees moved. Two gentlemen and I, standing on the high rim, noted that as the sun rose, the canyon walls became alit and travelled slowly down, down, down to the Colorado River as it snaked its path like a narrow coloured ribbon! So spiritual...so mesmerizing...beyond being supernatural...almost divine!
'Twas a sunrise spirited by Nature's gift to mankind!

Leaving the Rocky Mountains in Colorado: Driving eastbound, one morning, my son called ~ informing me, “I've made a reservation for you at a Hair Salon in Kearney, Nebraska. They are expecting you tomorrow morning...thought you'd enjoy this treat!” How thoughful and considerate, was this! What a pleasant surprise! The full staff warmly welcomed this Canadian woman driving from San Jose, California to Hamilton, Ontario.
I agree with Boris Pastemak who said,
“Surprise is the greatest gift which life can grant us.”

Spending my last night in Michigan, smiles came to my face upon hearing an airplane; glancing into the darkened sky, considering that he may be on that plane for a few hours (compared to my several
days of land travel ) spending time with family for his birthday, prior to returning to California.
What impressed me was that during those 11 or 12 days 'on the road'
I saw no accidents ~ until I crossed the border from Detroit intoWindsor:
and there at a stoplight, a transport truck had buckled the back fender of a sedan.

So many pleasures I've had in life, yet space here to highlight only a few ~
going back in time as my memory kicked in to recollect.

My Dad's Love of Cars: For my 1962 June wedding, he purchased a NEW Buick Skylark...blue with a white hard-top...to cap off his thrill of being 'Father of the Bride'! Unfortunately, in November of that year, a sudden heart attack snuffed out his life. Rather than leaving his beloved Buick parked in my mother's driveway over the winter months, I drove his Skylark to Hamilton where I was teaching. My mother promised that in the spring, she would take 'driving lessons' then learn to drive the Buick.
I finally drove my Dad's car!!!
She fulfilled her intention...and after 2 tries, passed her driving tests. She loved the Skylark...babied it...drove in only favourable weather...it became her Pride and Joy!

We'd Better Get There First,my father always said when I asked if could drive his car when out on a summer's day for a drive to Lake Erie's beach or a Sunday drive in the country. ( In summer I worked at his garage, earning money to pay for Teachers' College.) And on the return back home, his answer was always the same. After 3 years of teaching, I'd saved money to Own My First Car!

Movie Tickets or a Case of Gingerale: In High School days, I played softball on a farm girls team named the Burford Bluebirds. Occasionally my Dad took me to Brantford towatch the Red Sox of the International League play baseball. On one occsion, the lucky number in my program was called...so excited I was, winning 6 tickets for movies at the city's Capital Theatre and a case of gingerale. But being a devout Christian man, he had no use for 'the ills of Hollywood' so my winning prize was the gingerale!

Finding a Five-Dollar Bill: When in Grade 7, walking through the village of Burford on my home from school one day, I discovered a $5 bill lying on the sidewalk in front of the Printer's Shop. Entering the shop door I told told the owner about it. Stating that no buyer had returned to inquire about lost money, he said to me, “Finders, Keepers ~ my Dear ~ purchase something for yourself.” WOW! From my own petty savings and this $5, I bought a pair of white ice skates to replace a neighbour boy's scuffed-up-old brown skates, much too big for me. What a luxury! How elated I was!

Which Famous Painting Are You?
A few of my readers send articles of interest to me ~ as is this following of intnrigue! The intro read:“If you love art, then you've certainly come to the right place. Why? Because you're about to find out just what famous painting your spirit embodies. Do you think you're one of Leonado da Vinci's accurate sketches ~ or are you more of a kooky Picasso painting? Take this test and find out for yourself. This, I couldn't resist! Aghast I was, when told: You're Da Vinci's Mona Lisa....with a few mentioned attributes...conluding with...you'll be around for centuries. Great News for me!!!

Surprise and mystery is at the heart of creativity, said Julia Camen.
Her quote reminded me of a letter sent to me by my son
which was hand-printed by a primary school student (or possibly Grade 4) thanking a speaker
who came to their school to present a talk about weather.
Dear Mr. Ramon, thank you for comming to our school and teeching about weather. Some day when I become “Supreme-Ultra-Lord of the Universe, I will not make you a slave. You wil live in my 200 story castle where unicorn servants will feed you donuts off their horns. I will personally make you a throne that is half platinum and half solid gold and jewel encrested.

Thank you again for teeching us about meteoroligy; you're more awesome than a monkey waring a tuxedo made of bacon, riding a cyborg unicorn with a light saber for the horn on the tip of a space shuttle closing in on Mars while engulfed in flames. In case you didn't know, that's pretty dang sweet.
Sincerely, Flint. ( My Mom says to excoose my spelling errors.)

Written by Merle Baird-Kerr...December 14, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment