Monday, November 26, 2018

Ode to the Wolf

Know that the same spark of life that is within you,
is within all of our animal friends.
(from Greenwood Wildlife Rehabilitation Center)

Wolves fascinate me ~ animals, strong and bold in appearance ~
with eyes of blue or brown and gold.
Forced out of habitats ~ to 'city life'they've adjusted .
Coyotes, along with wolves, are inhabiting our neighbourhoods ~
living in proximity with humans due to expansion and growth of mankind
and due to development of commercial and industrial lands.

I Simply Could Not Resist Him ~
as he faced me on a page within a colour magazine.
There he was ~ embedded ~ within a square.
His piercing blue eyes ~ and ears well alerted,
he gazed at me intently.
His facial fur of grayish white
deepened dark charcoal ~ approaching his neck and body.
Compelling, he piqued my attention ~ now worthy of a second look.

Who are you? What do you need?”
(I wondered as I studied his face.)
Mesmerized, I was ~ just connecting with his eyes.
What do you want?”I asked.
With piercing blue eyes still upon me,
he spoke:
This is a photo of me ~ before a hunter raised his gun!
Bang! Bang! I balked and I howled!
And now, I'm really a clock, set in a 12-inch oaken frame.
I long to be loved ~
and can give to you ~ both pleasure and peace
'cause my 'spirit' within, still lives.
Just give me a battery or two ~ and I'll give you accurate time.
My name is 'Logan' ~ I was the 'Alpha' of my pack.

How could I refuse him?
I could give him a home ~ hanging in plain view
where daily, his face I would see.
Arriving by mail, I inserted a battery, setting his heart a-beat.
I hung him near my balcony door.
And his gift to me, was and is ~ his mesmerizing eyes of blue.
Logan espies me 24/7
as I recall his pack and his life ~
and always will ~ e'en when I renew ~ his warm beating heart.

Composed by Merle Baird-Kerr...November 12, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment