Sunday, May 15, 2011

Questionnaires

Many of us fill in these forms with the hope of winning something or purchasing items at discounted prices. Occasionally, or rarely, does one succeed...this has never been my luck...always “a catch”!

In High School, a list of test questions is given, with answers by students to be completed within a time limit. Years ago, as a Grade 12 student, this test was presented twice in the year. Said results helped to determine the Intelligent Quotient of the student. Guidance Teachers could then advise him or her of post-secondary education and fields of interest. A friend related this personal incident:

“It was in Grade 12 on a Thursday that I had this IQ Test. My mind went 'blank at times', and I was unable to concentrate. A week later, the Vocational Guidance Instructor called me into her office for a discussion. She informed me that I should seriously consider a Technical College instead of University... At the end of Grade 12, I could attend and take the required courses to obtain a diploma or certificate in my field of study after a two-year education there. I told her I had planned to go to McMaster University and graduate with at least a BA degree. She advised against it...stating it would probably be an academic struggle for me to accomplish... and attain my aspirations.

She did not know, nor did I tell her, that my dog died the day previous to the test and we had to take Sally to our veterinarian and send our family pet of 12 years to Dog Heaven."

Teachers are seldom aware of the circumstances that affect a student's test results. I'm confident that years later she was greatly impressed with this student's academic accomplishments and contribution to the teaching profession.

He graduated from Grade 13 with honours...attended his University of choice, and with further studies at the University of Toronto, became an English Teacher and Instructor of Languages at Hill Park High School on Hamilton Mountain.

Oral questionnaires are a different specie: I consider would-be doctors (for example) who must achieve credibility in their knowledge of medical science...with little time allowed to contemplate their responses. Fortunately, in life, most of us do not face this type of direct challenge!

The questions are...How do we perceive ourselves? How do others perceive us?

For several years, I was a teacher in elementary school. Following the birth of my second child, I was a “stay-at-homer” for five years. Census-takers occasionally came to my door with oral questions to confirm and gather information for Stats Canada. Upon the first visit, with Marcia in my arms, I answered that I was a housewife or home-maker. Within a couple years, I decided to “upgrade” my position. Depending on the day....I was a home economist, a nurse (to my children), a child psychologist, a professional chef, a horticulturist (with my gorgeous patio garden) or mechanic!

Recently I read about a mother renewing her driver's licence. She was asked by the Registry Office to state her occupation. She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. “What I mean is,” explained the woman at the Registry, “do you have a job or are you just a ...?” The mother snapped, “Of course I have a job...I'm a Mom” to which the woman replied emphatically “We don't list Mom as an occupation...'housewife' covers it”.

I'm in love with another Mother applying for a job with anticipation of returning to the business workplace. The interviewer was definitely a career woman...poised, efficient, fashionably attired and of a high-sounding title like Official Interrogator or City Registrar!

“What is your occupation?” she probed.
“What made me say it, I do not know. The words simply popped out, 'I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Resources.' "

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in mid-air and looked up as though she had not heard correctly.
“I repeated the title slowly, emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written in bold black ink on the official questionnaire.”

“Might I ask,” said the clerk with new interest, “just what you do in your field?”

“Cooly, without any trace of fluster, I heard my voice say, 'I have a continuing program of research (what mother doesn't?) in the laboratory and in the field (normally I would have answered indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family) and already have four credits (all daughters); and of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities (any mother care to disagree?). I often work 14 hours a day (24 is more likely) but the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers. The rewards are more of a satisfaction than money.”

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up and personally ushered me to the door.

“As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamourous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants...ages 13, 7 and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model (a 6-month old baby) in the child development program, testing out a new pattern. I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and dispensable to mankind than just 'Another Mom'...Motherhood! What a glorious career! Especially when there is a title on the door!”

So now, Readers, I ask, “Does this make Grandmothers 'Senior Research Associates' in the field of Child Development and Human Relations?”

Merle Baird-Kerr
May 15. 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment