Sunday, May 29, 2011

"Natives" of North America

We have many Native Aborigines living in Canada (mostly on reservations)...United States has numerous Native Americans also in their country. I have long had an affinity for these peoples... their tribes, their culture, their lore, their spiritual beliefs, their philosophies, their wisdom. Rich in meaning, most of these aspects, which if adopted, would significantly improve and enhance our lives. Occasionally through my blog-venue, I am pleased to share their profound wisdom that establishes a successful foundation for daily living.

“Being Indian, is an attitude, a state of mind, a way of being in harmony
with all things and all beings.
It is allowing the heart to be the distributor of energy on this planet;
to allow feelings and sensitivities to determine where energy goes;
bringing aliveness up from the Earth and from the Sky,
putting it in and giving it out from the heart.”
~ Brooke Medicine Eagle ~

Native American Turtle Mythology
Turtles play positive roles in the folklore of many North American tribes. In the creation myths of some East Coast tribes (such as the Iroquois and Lenape), the Great Spirit created their homeland by placing earth on the back of a giant turtle. This is why some contemporary native Americans refer to North America as “Turtle Island”.

Cherokee Prayer Blessing

May the Warm Winds of Heaven
blow softly on your house.
May the Great Spirit
bless all who enter there.
May your Moccasins
make happy tracks
in many snows,
and may the Rainbow
always touch your shoulder.


Native American Prayer

Oh, Great Spirit
whose voice I hear in the winds,
and whose breath gives life to all the world,
hear me, I am small and weak.
I need your strength and wisdom.
Let me walk in the beauty and make my eyes ever behold
the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things you have made
and my ears sharp to hear your voice.
Make me wise so that I may understand the things
you have taught my people.
Let me learn the lessons you have
hidden in every leaf and rock.
I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother,
but to fight my greatest enemy – myself.
Make me always ready to come to you
with clean hands and straight eyes.
So when life fades, as the fading sunset,
my Spirit may come to you without shame.

This prayer... translated by Lakota Sioux Chief Yellow Lark in 1887


Of Interest: Sunday, for most of us, is classified on our calendars as the first day of the week.
I invite you to visit my blog weekly on this day to gain insight to the
Native American Wisdom Quotes and Philosophies.
All these impress me...which I trust will do likewise for you.

Merle Baird-Kerr
May 27, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment