Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Good Fortune Knocking at My Door

It happened one day going to a pharmacy for a pickup prescription. Parking across the street...I crossed over to the pharmacy...and sitting astride a bench, was a woman I recognized. Seeing me, she looked aside (not wanting to speak, it seemed). Upon leaving the pharmacy, I noticed she was gone! She appeared sickly...had lost considerable weight...and probably felt sorry for herself.

Originally written in 2006, the following is a transcript of the writing..Outside a pharmacy door, I wrote all this in prose, but it doesn’t have to be that way, I recognized a Realtor who long ago I knew, seated on a bench. She was frail about eighty to ninety pounds. Slowly turning her eyes aside, hoping unnoticed she would be. She looked so lonely, and preyed upon my mind. At that moment, positive aspects altered my perception. I feel so lucky.

I reside in a pleasant seniors’ home near buses and small shopping mall. Lonely here are some women and men. Oft, lack of visiting family or friends. Oft, in the lounge, they await the mail (their daily routines) they chat about...read their letters and show their pics), yet I feel so lucky.

Lifestyle changes as we mature. I cannot schuss down the snowy slopes; I cannot golf on the fairway greens. But I am quite certain I can putt. Tennis agility is a skill of the past; cannot polka or clog a routine; cannot hike along the forest’s lush trails, yet I feel so lucky.

Many other pleasures I pursued; the Theatre, the Play, observer of sports. Time to imagine. Time to create fashion accessories and inspired to write. A page-turner novel transports me away. Duplicate Bridge was a most active game; played at local clubs and Bridge Base Online. And with the latter my family of friends increased from Chile to Turkey, to Portugal and to France!

One year I travelled to USA with my son, discovered a bridge club locally to play...a great gentleman I partnered with. Amazing! This vibrant vet of WWII. Bridge tournaments were many...both near and far. Upon invitation, the border I crossed; drove a few hours to an eastern State to gain bridge points...red or gold. I feel so lucky.

In 2001, drove the scenic distance from the California coast to Ontario home, for my son’s Honda Odyssey’s emission test. The mountains and canyons and high desert plateaus; tumbling rivers and placid lakes; ambitious cities and sleepy hamlets. I feel so lucky with Canada's nature.

I feel so lucky for all of the above! Yes ~ I have aches and pains. In January I slipped on ice, breaking a couple small bones in my wrist. (I wasn’t so lucky!) Graciously I learned, thank you so much ~ appreciate extra strengths and a helping hand.

As the new year approaches I wish to all A HEALTHY AND HAPPY NEW YEAR. And now in the spring, when my birthday arrives, I am another year younger, and another year wiser, hopefully!

I AM SO LUCKY.

Comments welcome
Author: MBK
Written December 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment