Monday, March 9, 2020

QUEEN of CATS ~ Part 1

Nature's love of birds, animals and beasts who thrive in rivers, lakes, oceans, woodlands and forests and in the air of our universe ~ one and all share. And it behooves us as humans, to understand and respect the habitats and livelihoods provided on our planet, Earth!

Princess was my feline mother ~ I was one of 8 kittens born in her litter. Always hungry, we had to always squirm for position to nurse from her. Soon, I learned that being the largest kitten, I was not well accepted by the other kits. Mommy Princess, loved me, as she purred sweet words into my furry ears. When my wee brothers and sisters were sleeping in a blanketed low flat box, Mommy Princess
would call me to follow her to a cosy den where she could rest until the next frequent feeding time.

For her, I had many questions, as a human babe would have of his parent(s). So, when invited into her quiet time, she fed me...licked my face and neck...then permitting me to kitten-nap beside her. She made me feel 'special'. I wondered why when segregated from her nest, she gave me unique attention.

I was happy ~ and lived in a comfy home with adults (human in nature) who loved me...petted me as a kitten since my birth...and allowed me to sleep on their bed. To them, I was Queen of the Home!”
Learning much about them, gradually understanding their language...their moments of attention...and favours given to me.
With spring in the air and windows opened,
I yearned for the outdoor smells.
I was pure white, when looking in the mirror one morning...except for grey on the tip of my tail...as were my paws...and with green eyes. The humans adored me ~ making me feel special.

The scent of growing grass blades...the aroma of flowering buds...the chirping of birds...tiny green leaflets on growing plants...and breezes sifting through tree limbs...all spoke 'nature-like' to me.
I truly yearned to wander among these scents.
So, I sat by the door, hoping my human would allow me to go out to investigate Spring! To see and smell...to play with the ants as they frolicked the grass...to listen to the crow's 'caws' and birdy tweets.
Trusting me, she let me out with a promise to return in a short time.
These wonderful experiences were music to my Cat's Soul!

Another time, when allowed outside, the lady and her man left me outside while they quickly headed on errand trips. Late afternoon, it was, when they hadn't yet returned, it began to rain ~ so I scurried below the deck to keep my white fur clean and dry. Surprising me, there below the deck, was a big, black and brown-striped tabby cat. Scenting me ~ he wanted to 'make love' (saying to me) ~ so mounting me and when fully satiated, he left, stating he'd be back soon to visit me again!

Upon return of my humans, they called, “Princess ~ We're Home! Come inside to keep warm.”
I scooted into the home to keep my white fur coat clean and dry.

Uknown to me, within a few weeks, the house lady and husband took me to a medical place ~ where they were informed that I was pregnant ~ and given a projected date when my kttens would be born.

* * * * * * *

True to the date ~ I birthed 8 kittens...7 being mostly white...marked with a bit of grey.
But the 8th one was a great, big female kitten ~ with stripes of black and grey.
Heaven Forbid! That Big D___ Cat!
Dam Cat!” “Dam Cat”! I had to live with as reminder of my discretion.
But my mother, Princess, took me to a nearby stream,” Here,” she said, “You will see your image showing you what a handsome and beautiful female cat you truly are. Take pride in yourself.!”
So, I AM DIFFERENT!
I'll be a big cat with lots of fur...my ears are tuft-like with lots of fur on the ends...
and I'll have a bushy tail (as told by my mother, Princess).
My vision in the water showed my beautiful coat striped in grays and browns.
And my eyes are greenish-brown.
Now, when I feel alone and unloved, I'll dash to the stream to view my image!
Remember, Dear Child: Know that cats and dogs (like humans who care for us) keep their families growing by having more and more children (and kittens for us); and dogs have puppies.”

So, Mommy, why do your other kittens in the litter, object to me? I”ve done nothing to hurt them ~ and yet they snub and ignore me, hoping I'll leave.”
And she replied, “You are special to me.
You're the biggest kitten in my litter.
The others are mostly white with touches of grey.
You are striped like tabbies in browns and blacks.
You are very special to me ~ but look like an 'outcast' to them.
You are my kitten ~ and I LOVE YOU!
Perhaps you're like the big tabby that fathered you
and his genes have become your genes.
So, live your llife ~ enjoy being unique ~ and one day,
LOVE will come to you.”

Sadly, one day, a sign on the lawn said “For Sale” and my Momma said, “The humans have to move.
We're worried about our breakfast milk...the scraps of bacon and other needs...and the dishes of water our thirst to quench. So the 'house mother' has to get rid of her kittens...advising me that now, I'd have to fend for myself.
Time to be independent, I stayed under the deck.
I searched the woodland for mice and insects and when it rained,
had water to drink from the puddles.

New humans moved into the house but don't care for me, the Dam Cat, a bit. I tried to be kind and loveable, but they don't care about me ~ even shoving me away even when I desired food and attention. With a broom, they swatted me to SCOOT ~ they didn't want poop in their garden ~ nor require my company in their prettly little house. Oh What? What shall I do?
They don't want me ~ and while I hang around, they shoo me away.

Winter is coming ~ and I must find a home and hopefully some humans
will love me enough to feed me ~ and offer me their home.
Mother Nature soon sent cold winds ~ and sometimes lots of freezing rain. I had to seek another home
where I'd have shelter from the falling snow. I needed a human who'd recognize my dilemma. Lonely I was ~and hunger persisted as I searched for an abode where I'd be invited to be its family cat ~ and provide for my physical and emotional needs. I'd be such a Good Cat!
Be sure to read Part 2 of my challenge in finding a loving home.

Written by Author...Merle Baird-Kerr...April 7, 2019
Comments welcome: mbairdkerr@cogeco.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment