Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Balcony News

Take time to Smell the Roses”
someone once wrote
and “It's the Little Things in Life
that can make or break one's day!”

One doesn't need a mansion-styled home
nor sky-scraper view of mountains and the sea!

When having to move several years ago,
a few requirements I had:
Not main floor, nor one without balcony.
Parking I needed and 'green space' nearby.
Although un-named ~ it is My Place.
With over 100 apartments ~ only one was available:
Third floor end unit with a north-west view
overlooks green-space, lengthy bike and running trails.
Mature trees 'round the perimeter and in spacious rear garden.
Nearby is a soccer field; bus service at the front door
and convenient to all ~ is a friendly small plaza.

Yes: I've a balcony with spendourizing sunsets;
have photo-ed many scenes of reds, golds and pinks.

The high wires of telephone and hydro become positioning
of the early morn 'chorus lines'
that waken birdie friends and humans still a-bed.
And in the early eve, they re-assemble ~ to bid 'adieu'.

My balcony, like a summer home, was also claimed by Mourning Doves.
For three summers, on a wrought iron chair, built a flat nest...
laid their eggs...and on rotating schedules.. incubated them...
fed and raised their 'squabs' ~ then taught them how to fly.
About these experiences, I daily wrote ~ 'twas an education for me!

Even with this hot, humid weather,
fresh morning air welcomes morning coffee
and to my front door, the newspaper's delivered.
As you know, as blog-written, I've a sizeable Hibiscus Bush
having bought last August from Holland Park Garden Centre.
Four others were blooming ~ the one I bought, had no blooms,
so sold to me for a very good price.
From the end of September to early frost days,
over 70 coral blooms (5 to 6 inches each) rewarded my purchase!
I brought it inside to weather the winter
and have now returned it ~ to its balcony corner.
I pruned back some branches and given it water
in hope that again ~ it'd start to bloom!

Two days ago, 3 buds a-budding,...so knew the summer, it'll enjoy.
This morning how glorious! A huge coral bloom that'll last a couple days,
then the others will open their tight-bound buds.
Hallelujah” I say (in homage to the 'Bush') !
Excited I am 'cause the squirrels (the pesky rodents)
haven't yet returned ~ to destroy my precious bush!
(And about Grey and Blackie, I wrote their misdismeanors:
antics that would absolutely startle your minds!)

Vega Welcomed
When balconies were replaced a few years ago, my heavy green Buddha statue was placed in storage on the main floor. Then when retrieving it, Mike could not locate it: someone took it...claiming it for their own! With a given certificate, no Buddha could I find of interest to me. But I did find “Vega” ....a beautiful white statue, very heavy was she, who sits on a pedestal in the balcony's far corner. Looking very Grecian, she's all white and with arm overhead and above her brow, peers northwest facing Lyra's galaxy. As darkness falls, the brilliant bluish-white star “Vega” twinkles, announcing she's the 5th largest star in the night sky. And if you look on a clear night, you'll locate my 'Vega'!

My Balcony Cat
While at Burlington Place, living on the 18th floor overlooking Lake Ontario, I adopted a cat from the SPCA. A tabby, so she seemed: fur of grey and dark grey, her toes, ears and tail quite bushy...her white whiskers extra long. What a strange Tabby...she was most unfriendly and anti-social...(didn't want to be held or cuddled), I was told. She yowled from her cage all the way home...and loud yowling continued to the elevator for 18 floors and to my front door. What kind of pet, is she, I wondered. Mightily disturbed she seemed until opening her cage. Then! She strutted out in a queenly mode as though she'd she'd gained much freedom...accordingly, I called her Sheba! By now, she seemed much calmer. I did have fears about her on my 18th floor...so kept her on a leash until able to trust her. She seemed content to lay on the balcony floor...pushing her head below the low rail...and with a constant 'tail switch' , see Canada Geese as they quacked and searched for food...also the occasional swan at the water's edge. After a month or so, I trusted her minus the leash. So much so, that when at work, I'd leave open the balcony door for her to 'come and go.'

She'd lay at my feet or on a bedside rug...but never ever on my lap...lucky to hold her for a few seconds or a minute at most. Trusting, she became as I left her to adapt. Very intelligent, she'd hear the elevator sound...and was always awaiting my 'key in the door' . On one day, she brushed past my left leg...and continued following her...with more brushing motions beside my leg, she led me to the balcony...
for she had a 'gift' (a treasure) to display: a bird she'd caught, lay on the floor. Can you imagine?
About Sheba, a book I could write!
A cat-fancier friend, Julie, recognized her as not an ordinary Tabby!
She was a Maine Coon with all the attributes (except for personality).
(The SPCA, from given knowledge, stated that my Sheba
had apparently been abused...and knowing it was November,
needed a home for the winter...so claimed a farm-house kitchen window to beg for food).

Knowledge is the 'eye of desire' and can become the pilot of the soul,”
stated will Durant.

Written by Merle Baird-Kerr...July 7, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment